Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe’s husband says he is looking forward to “starting a new life” with her when he returns to the UK.
Ms Zaghari-Ratcliffe, who is British-Iranian, had been detained in Iran since 2016 on charges of plotting to overthrow Iran’s government, which she denied.
He was allowed to leave the country on Wednesday and is on a plane home.
Richard Ratcliffe said he was “relieved” that she had finally been released.
She said that her daughter Gabriella had chosen which toys to bring to show her mother, and had promised her that one of the first things she would do would be to make her a cup of tea.
“We can’t get back the time that’s gone,” he said. “But we live in the future, not the past. We’ll take it one day at a time.”
His wife, 43, and fellow British-Iranian Anoosheh Ashoori are returning to the UK.
The UK government said it had paid off a 400 million pound debt to Iran from the 1970s.
Ashoori was arrested in 2017 and accused of spying, a claim he denied. A third dual citizen, Morad Tahbaz, has been released but will not return to the UK.
Ms Zaghari-Ratcliffe had been under house arrest and had her UK passport returned this week.
Add Comment